Main Menu

You are here

Forest Restoration Treatment Notification
The Forestry Division of the City of Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department will be conducting forest restoration treatments in Stratton Open Space, Stratton Forest, Bear Creek Canyon Park and University Park beginning mid-January, 2017.

The restoration treatments consist of removing overstocked evergreen trees and reducing the size of Gambel oak clumps. The treatments will focus on a return to a more natural number of trees per acre, a reduction in fuel loading and continuity, removal of insect and disease affected trees and elimination of invasive woody plant species.  This work will be performed by Seedmasters Inc. and MarkIt!, two local, professional forest restoration companies under contract with City Forestry.

Please call City Forestry if you have questions or concerns at (719) 385-5942.


Q: There is a problem with a city tree, what should I do?

Please call City Forestry at 719-385-5942 to report a problem with a city tree. If there is no answer, please leave a message with your name, address, and phone number.

Q: I have tree branches down from high winds! What should I do?

Please call City Forestry at 385-5942 for downed limbs from city trees in the public right-of-way. After business hours, please leave a message with your name, address, and zip code and crews will pick up the branches when they are in the area. If it is an emergency, you can call the Colorado Springs Police Department's Dispatch at 719-444-7000.
City Forestry is unable to remove trees or branches from trees on your private property. These are the responsibility of private property owners.  Click for a list of licensed tree services

Trees or branches that have fallen on power lines or transformers should be reported to Colorado Springs Utilities at 448-4800.

Q: What can I do with my yard waste and downed limbs from the trees in my yard?

You can drop off your own yard waste (leaves, tree clippings, old fence wood, etc.--NOT painted wood) at Rocky Top Resources, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays, FREE with a canned good donation for Care and Share. Rocky Top Resources is located at 1755 E. Las Vegas Street. For more information call 719-579-9103.

Q: Where can I get free mulch?

We have a mulch pile that is available to residents. The mulch pile is replenished randomly, so it is first-come, first-served and sometimes the bin is empty. City residents are encouraged to take as much as they need! (Not for commercial use or resale.) You will need to bring your own tools and containers for loading and transporting the mulch.

Directions to the mulch pile: take I-25 to Fontenero, Exit #144, travel east to Recreation Way, turn right onto Recreation Way and drive south to 1601 Recreation Way (big metal bldg. with Forestry Operations Center sign in front and fence around it). The free mulch pile will be on your RIGHT, across the street from the building, on the WEST side of Recreation Way.

Q:  How do I know if the tree along the street in front of my house belongs to me or if it is in the public right-of-way?

SpringsView is a mapping application that can display the property boundaries between the city and private property.

Q: The tree behind my house is growing into and above the power lines. What can I do?

Contact Colorado Springs Utilities at 719-448-4800 to request an inspection of your tree(s) for utility line clearance.

Q: There’s an animal bothering my tree. What can I do?

Contact the Division of Wildlife at 719-227-5200.

Q: I need firewood to burn this winter. Can I buy wood from Forestry?

Yes, we do sell some hardwood from trees that have to be removed. It’s available through CSU public auctions online. Funds are used to purchase new street trees. You can also check with the National Forest Service for firewood permits at 719-636-1602 (they are located at 601 S. Weber Street).

Q: Where can I get a firewood cutting permit?
Q: Where can I get a Christmas tree cutting permit?
Q. Where can I get a permit to hunt in the National Forest?
Q: How can I find out if there is a fire ban in place?

The National Forest Service, Pikes Peak Ranger Station, 601 S. Weber St, 719-636-1602 is the contact for all four of the above questions.

Q: My tree looks sick. What can I do about it?

 If you have a problem that can't be identified, or if more than one tree is showing the same symptoms, it may be time to call in a professional.  Don't trust just anyone with a chain saw for the health of your valuable landscape assets! It's a good idea to check with your county Extension Office with tree questions, and there is also a website called Plant Facts Database that has a searchable database of fact sheets from Extension services across the country.

Q: What, and when, is Arbor Day?

Arbor Day is America's National Tree Holiday, the day we set aside to plant ceremonial trees, educate children about the importance of trees, and honor the important role trees play in our daily lives. The first Arbor Day took place on April 10, 1872 in Nebraska. It was the brainchild of Julius Sterling Morton (1832-1902), a Nebraska journalist and politician. Today, National Arbor Day is celebrated on the last Friday in April.  Don't forget to plant a tree yourself! If you don't have any more room for trees in your yard, make arrangements to volunteer to plant at the City's Arbor Day celebration!

Q: What does it take for a community to become a Tree City USA?

Tree City USA is a designation that cities can earn for having Urban and Community Forestry programs. The National Arbor Day Foundation website has more information on this program. Colorado Springs has been a Tree City USA since 1977.