Main Menu

You are here

Historic City Hall


Historic City Hall black and white photographOn Nov. 16, 2014, City Hall celebrated its 110th anniversary. Built in the Classical Revival style by noted local architects Thomas P. Barber and Thomas MacLaren, City Hall was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

The current site for City Hall belonged to Cripple Creek mining magnate Winfield S. Stratton. Stratton agreed to donate three lots to the city if they agreed to build a structure of at least $100,000—final cost was approximately $140,000. City Hall was the seat of municipal government from 1904 to 1980 when the City Administration building was built. From 1980-97, City Hall was used for the municipal courts.

On Nov. 30, 2001, after an 18-month renovation to once again make City Hall a place for city residents to use and enjoy, City Hall was re-dedicated and City Council returned to historic City Hall council chambers.

In January 2014, City Council dedicated an area within City Hall - the Citizen Art Gallery -  to exhibit and celebrate citizen artwork. The gallery is located on the second floor.

Today, in addition to holding council meetings, City Hall is host to school tours and numerous citizen and nonprofit group meetings, at no charge, and chambers is used by a variety of groups, including the Liquor & Beer Licensing Board, the Planning Commission, the Utilities Board and various visiting and regularly scheduled groups.